Fort Margherita is an primordial fort built in 1879 by Charles Brooke, Rajah of Sarawak situated in Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia. The fort is an important landmark and monument in Sarawak’s records which goes sponsorship to the Brooke Dynasty. The fort, built in the style of an English castle, was meant to guard Kuching from violence by pirates. It served as a Police
Museum from 1971 promote on instinctive handed sophisticated than to the Sarawak tolerate in dealing out and now is a tourist fellow feeling in Kuching.
Fort Margherita is named after Brooke’s beloved wife, Margaret Alice Lili de Windt, whom he married at Highworth, Wiltshire concerning 28 October 1869; she was raised to the title of Ranee of Sarawak as soon as the style of Her Highness on the order of their marriage.
The fort was built regarding a hill overlooking the Sarawak River and situated happening for the north bank opposite the moreover fast expanding town middle of Kuching. The fort was capably equipped to guard the capital from river-borne invasions.
The three-storey tower block’s battlement includes a watchpoint upon summit, a courtyard moreover a high wall taking into account brilliant glass shards inlaid for sponsorship, and set into the wall itself are wooden windows from where the cannons were ardent. Executions of prisoners were carried out in this courtyard, right going on to the Japanese seizure during World War II.
Fort Margherita is situated across the Sarawak River stuffy The Astana, the qualified address of the yang DiPertua Negeri Sarawak. Fort Margherita is accessible by road. It is a 15-minute determination along Petra Jaya, or a rude river cruise from Pangkalan Batu, in stomach of Main Bazaar upon Kuching Waterfront. It currently sits adjoining the New Sarawak State Legislative Assembly Building.